Thursday, June 29, 2006

So, I guess that an intro would be customary?




I hesitate to even try to describe myself. For one thing, who can honestly say that they know who they are? For another, I suspect that I would be tempted to downplay the negative aspects of myself while accenting the "better."

So, a basic biography. I am a 39 year old mother of four, married nearly 20 years, primarily a housewife but with a part-time retail gig. An avid reader, gardener, loving friend.

But does any of that really tell who I am at my very core? Does it describe my 39 years, show that my husband is my grounding wire, my children my spark, my home a sanctuary for my heart? Does it tell you that my friendships run deep and sustain me, that I read to breath clearly, that I garden as a dance and meditation?

Can I admit to my many contradictions and subtle hypocracies? I fancy myself a gentle soul, yet when angered I can storm and rage and spout invective in words and phrases that would make a longshoreman flinch. A hippie wannabe who uses hair dye and makeup and razors, and really does not "get" the Grateful Dead. A health food champion with a pocket full of candy. Mother Earth type who is sometimes too damn lazy to recycle, and who would often rather sit in front of a computer screen than go for a hike.

Think late model mini-van blasting Hendrix and Joplin and Led Zep and Pearl Jam. Organic rice milk over Captain Crunch. Granola with Twinkies and ding-dongs.

Think combat boots with peasant skirts.

Follow along if you wish.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I understand where you are coming from. Just thought I would say thanks for posting on my blog. I hope we can encourage and stand beside one
another. I enjoyed reading your intro.

8:17 PM  
Blogger brittanicals said...

Yes, I will stand with you if you wish.

I really enjoyed your last post, regarding the struggle to forgive. Thats been a very hard one for me.

9:54 AM  
Blogger gojirama said...

So good to read your intro. I'm glad we have another avenue to connect.

12:47 AM  
Blogger klk said...

I am so a peasant skirt wearing girl with my steel-toed doc martens! Great description. I am all of those things too. I think we are all dichotomies, you know? And that's the good thing. We won't let that box keep us down and surround us.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home